June 19, 2008

Think Obama

Here's a great blog I tracked down in search of pro-Obama reggae music I had heard a while back. I visited today and searched around the site. There are some pretty inspiring videos embedded throughout and one of the "top posts" features a table of information from Salon.com and CNNMoney.com that highlights the 2008 Presidential candidates' net worth. I remember back to the 2004 election when I wanted to bash Bush's wealth, only to be beaten back with stats on the Heinz fortune that floated Kerry's boat. Well, assuming these numbers are true, I'm comforted to learn that McCain's net worth is 31 times that of Obama's, whose net worth is estimated to be $1.3 million. [It just occurred to me, that if Obama could make $1.3 million each year, by the time he is about McCain's age, he would be worth the same amount!] Why would I be comforted by those numbers? Relative to McCain, Obama's supposed net worth is [relatively] closer to my family's, and, if I take another leap, perhaps his life experience is closer to my own and an overwhelming majority of Americans'. That is not to say that I have too much in common, economically, with a guy whose house is apparently worth $1.9 million.

My half-hearted attempt at research (above) led me to this other little gem of information: "[John McCain's] wife Cindy is the chairman of Hensley & Co., the Anheuser-Busch beer distribution business she inherited from her father" (money.cnn.com). This means, in case you are in support of McCain, you might care to start drinking more products with labels like: Budweiser, Michelob, Bass, Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, Rolling Rock, Busch, Bacardi, and Natural "Natty" Light, to name a few. Or not... In fairness, Cindy is cited for founding the American Voluntary Medical Team to help disaster-struck and war-torn third world countries in 1988. Also, it is noted that all royalties from every book John McCain has written have been donated to charities. Even I know that money can be redistributed for good. Don't ask me why I am so against people inherit inordinate amounts of wealth. Excess in a world filled with so many poor and suffering people (many of whom are victims of first world exploitation) just disturbs me beyond much reason. I'm sure there's also a significant amount of jealousy inside of me. ("Get money," right?)

GObama!

No comments:

Post a Comment